Saturday, March 25, 2017

5. South Carolina

It's no wonder I love history as I do. It began early, and I'm thankful for my wonderful family that took me to it so early. Charleston as one of my first experiences was a beautiful one - sunny battery walks with sparkling water, wind-sung boat rides in the harbor, chalk grey naval ships, the mystique of famous fort,  the grand avenue of oaks at Boone Hall, and the somber, cell-like slave quarters. These were visions I absorbed and knew, even at a young age, were part of who I was ~ who we all are, for better or worse. I knew even then it needed to be visited and studied.

Walking along the battery
A historic house on the battery

Harbor boat ride
The USS Wainwright Destroyer moored in Charleston, her home port.
She saw service in Vietnam and played big roles in the 1976
US Bicentennial events in New York City.
Fort Sumter


Boone Hall Plantation
Slave quarters
Into the ocean with dad



No comments: