Sunday, March 5, 2017

1. Tennessee

Naturally, your first state is the one in which you were born ~ in more ways than one.

Tennessee. Tanasqui, a Native American village happened upon by Juan Pardo and Spanish explorers. Tanasi, another later "found" by the British. We know it is a Cherokee word, but the meaning is lost, from all I can find.  A mighty river with the same name, dipping down a giant valley. A state so long and varied it is given three sections physically as well as culturally.

I was born in the upper North East part, a child of the mountains. This is the land of my father's people. He had traveled with the navy, so my siblings were born in WA and CA, but he came back here by the time I came along a decade later ~ and he never left again.

Maybe it's my Gemini sign, but I conversely adore the highlands with their complicated and fascinating customs ~ while finding frustration with the same Scot-Irish mindset and mentality. I say it because I am one. This why the world is open to travel, and why TN has always been called home.

There's always music, mysticism, superstition, and folklore.

State Nickname: Volunteer State
State Flower: Iris
State Wildflower: Passion Flower
State Bird: Mockingbird
State Gamebird: Quail
State Animal: Raccoon
State Tree: Tulip Poplar


No comments: