Thursday, March 16, 2017

4. North Carolina


I know North Carolina falls next in my list of states, if not for the best reason in the world... I may have to give it due diligence for a later, better reason (like a trip to the Land of Oz theme park just a few years later), but this first visit story is really too good to pass up.


I remember my first visit to North Carolina, simply because the bear skin rug in the billiard room of Biltmore estate traumatized me to such an extent I'm sure I ruined the rest of the visit for my poor family. Biltmore, even then, was a financial investment to be enjoyed. It is "America's castle," the vast summer estate of the Vanderbilt family.

And, as anyone who has been there knows, the billiard room is probably the first "real" room in past the foyer and indoor atrium.

Note the rug in front of the fireplace
There were many other glorious trips to Biltmore; a birthday trip with my high school sweetheart; taking a special cousin for the first time with a beloved aunt and uncle; stopping on the way to the coast with my best friend, my mother and another aunt; enjoying a full-moon concert on the lawn; marveling at the decor at Christmas; and most recently oohing and ahhing over the dressing Downton exhibit with dear friends... 

For that first experience, however, I am sorry. To my credit, I really was pretty sure it might be in hot pursuit through the house.

Disclaimer: I was about 3 at the time.

State Nickname: The Old North State; The Tarheel State
State Flower: Flowering dogwood
State Wildflower: Carolina Lily
State Bird: Cardinal
State Animal: Eastern Gray Squirrel 
State Tree: Pine

No comments: