Wednesday, March 8, 2017

2. Sweet Home Alabama

My mother's home state was my second state ~ I made it there by the age of four months ~ off to a good start! I look at the photos now, and think, this is how generations overlap. Briefly, nominally, and ultimately, in photography or memory.

Mother's father, my Granddaddy W. Armstrong Barton, holding one of his famous watermelons.
Luscious reds, watermelon seed fights, tall pines, heat and humidity, heady aromas from larger than life flowers, late afternoon picnics, and a copious amount of aunts, uncles, and cousins. This was Alabama.
Enjoying the bounty in the fresh air and open

In CenterPoint

Uncle Robert's antics at a picnic

Happy and relaxed in the arms of cousin Judy

State Nickname: None Official/Alabama the Beautiful/Heart of Dixie
State Flower: Camellia (my mother's favorite flower)
State Wildflower: Oak leaf hydrangea
State Bird: Yellowhammer
State Animal: Black bear
State Tree: Southern long-leaf pine

No comments: